Tuesday, April 22, 2014

From the Heart of a Felon

While this is not my post I felt I should share this.  I am so proud of the man he is trying to be.  


It seems as though I will never be given an opportunity to restart my life with a regular job due to my background as a felon. I have been rejected so many times now that discouragement and uselessness are beginning to set into my psyche. you hear while in prison about rehabilitation and becoming a productive member of society but once you actually hit the streets its as if society has discarded you for the duration of the rest of your life. No company wants to hire you despite the training you may have gone through while incarcerated, its just pretty much an automatic rejection once you either self disclose your background to employer or especially after the background check has been done, and nowadays, doing a background check is a pre- qualification of employment for almost all jobs in today's american workforce. So I ask, "how is or how am I to get a job so that I can be that productive member of society, take care of myself and family , basically just survive, when now that I have paid for my crimes to society, served my time, did the necessary things while incarcerated which was told to me then that these things would afford me the ability to reinsert myself back into society productively, have proven to be nothing but a lot of time spent in prison that now as a free man that doesn't helps me to accomplish anything when employers all uses your background as a means to disqualify from the potential job applicants.?
I have served my time, why am I still being persecuted? I hope that someone who is in "control" will realize that with the increasing number of felons in America and recidivism that the biggest problem with that is that ex-felons are not being able to get a job to continue in his or her rehabilitation and re entrance into society so consequently a high number of these individuals go back to crime and eventually back to prison. And that is SAD.
Where do we (felons) go from here? Where is the Justice? Where is the forgiveness? This is the land of the free but for us ex-felons our background seems to keep us imprisoned forever, A life sentence.

1 comment:

  1. I don't personally know your circumstances but my daughter deals with the same issue every day. She has felony charges on her record until she completes the Drug Court system which was a two year contract. Now when she is done with 5 years probation the charges will be brought down to a Misdemeanor. But these last few years she has experienced the same as you when it comes to obtaining work. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions as what to do. But your not alone. She was able to get some work through a temp agency but company shut down and she's in same boat again. I don't know if you have gone that route yet and have been turned away. But just putting it out there. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete